Friday 8 February 2013

"The Accidental Public Servant", El-Rufai, causes a Furor!

alt
Obasanjo boys are not happy with Elrufai and speaking through one of their most prominent members who would remain anonymous they communicated to this reporter.
Chatting to this reporter the well known Obj boy said Elrufai had violated a spiritual principle found in Proverbs 17:13 which says "If you repay good with evil, evil will never leave your house."
According to this Obj boy well known for his articulate and masterful command of the English language "you must never bite the finger that fed you. You may disagree and criticize from time to time but never try to destroy your benefactor"

Continuing he said the book "is a hatchet job and not just criticism. No one has ever painted Obasanjo in such a bad light. Please read the book. It is terrible"
Another Obj boy who spoke to a journalist also added ‘‘We were not at the programme because we disagree with some nonsensical things Nasir (el-Rufai) wrote in his book so we ignored his invitation as a solidarity with (former) President Obasanjo whom we all have a tremendous respect for. We wish Nasir best of luck in his political adventure. But we strongly believed it is only an ingrate that bite the hand that fed him.’’
It would be recalled that the book launch by Elrufai was mostly attended by his new friends and boycotted by his old friends.  
Also, none of the people Elrufai served under attended his programmer including Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, President Obasanjo and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar attended.
The CBN Governor, Sanusi, recalled how the late former president  Umaru Yar‘Adua appointed him as the CBN governor without knowing him but based on merit and what he could contribute to the polity. On his encounter with the late president before his appointment as the CBN chief, hee said: “President Yar’Adua was somebody I had never met in my life before February 2009.
I had never met him. I was told that he wanted to see me and he met me and had a conversation with me about the economy, about the banking system - 10-15 minutes, and I left. The next time I saw him was on May 8, 2009, and he called me and said, ‘Sanusi, I have searched, I have looked at you, I have asked and I want you to know that I am going to make you the next governor of the Central Bank’.
“I am saying this because my own impressions of the late president was of a man who was ready to give me this job without knowing me, without me lobbying for it, and purely on the basis of what he thought the country needed. This is my own impression of the late President Yar‘Adua.

El-Rufai said in page 366 of the book that he was the one handling almost all the activities which were supposed to be handled by the vice president as Obasanjo handed them over to him.
“Indeed in the final year of Obasanjo’s presidency, I was not just running the FCT but involved in an array of activities - I was required to handle the portfolios of the minister of commerce and industry (twice) minister of interior, chair of national or cabinet committees on electric power supply improvement, sale of federal government houses in Abuja, national ID card, development of a national mortgage system, public service reforms, review of salaries and emoluments in the public service,  (including the military and the police) destruction of contraband, and was at various times points the oversight and liaison with chairmen of the Independent National Electoral Commission and the National Population Commission.
“In the eyes of many, including some of my cabinet colleagues, I had by default become a de facto vice president. The more I sorted out these issues, the more Obasanjo threw others at me, and it just became too much.
“Being the final year of his presidency, people did not have to make too big of a leap to conclude that Obasanjo was preparing me for anointment to succeed him. Obasanjo even sent me to the Niger Delta to work with James Ibori to find a way to create jobs in Warri.
“He established a presidential commission on job creation in Warri and made me the chair of it,  so I ended up having to make three or four trips to Delta State just to meet with the state government and youth organizations to try replicating the job creation and entrepreneurship programmes we introduced in Abuja that spawned  many new small businesses and thousands of construction related jobs.
El-Rufai however said that while people thought Obasanjo was preparing him for something, the truth really was that no anointment was being contemplated.
“I knew that I was simply an overworked machine and nothing more because I know my boss very well,” he stated.
He said assignments given to him pitched him against then vice president Atiku Abubakar and some of his colleagues in the federal cabinet.
man who was ready to take that risk for the country and do it in the interest of the system. I felt I should say this because I owe it as a duty. If he were alive today, he would defend himself; all the people that are alive - Obasanjo, Jonathan - can talk for themselves, but for the president who is dead... and we all owe it to ourselves.”

No comments: