Wednesday 23 October 2013

Remember Funky Mallam Of The 90's, Mustapha Amego? He is Dying!

In the early 90's TV was not as exciting as it is today. Television stations will open at 4pm and close at 12am. Very few programs were exciting. I would watch NTA for lack of something to do. Kessington hit show and Sunday Rendezvous with Mustapha Amego were the bomb then as the host of the show. What made it more interesting was that he was from the North and yet e soji as in e know wats up in Nigerian palance.
In the dance show you would see all the wanna be musicians and  dancers et al with their ngbeke dressing all trying to display the latest dance steps while gyrating to the music of Oritz Williki, Mandators, Ras Kimono, Alex Zitto, Felix Liberty and one of my all time favorites Alex O. That is not the news though, the news is that Funky Mallam as Mustapha Amego was known then is Sick and has Cancer of the Colon which has spread to other parts of his body. Last week, doctors at Maryland Medical Center determined that all treatments given may not be enough to save Musky’s life. The doctors further determined that Mustapha had three weeks to live. After he was stabilized from the ICU over the weekend, he was returned home with a hospice care schedule.  Mustapha relocated to Maryland, USA after his tenure as PMAN President where he worked with Discovery Channel as content Producer/AVID and FCP Editor/Tricaster operator. He was once PMAN President from 1993-1996. Please read his words of appreciation and encouragement to friends and family after the cut. I am crying already...

 During a telephone conversation this evening with Mustapha, his voice waning, weak and frail, barely audible, he expressed appreciations for the support, empathy that blanketed his life since his family went public with his health challenges.
“ Zuky,I just wished God would give me more time to thank every Nigerian. I am grateful to have been born Nigerian. I hope someday we would resolve our various differences and live as one Nigeria, be as great as the United States. We are a resilient people, regardless of our diversity. Where else can you find a unique ethnic peoples under one nation, with beautiful and diversified cultures, peoples, traditions and customs?.Nigeria is such a glorious nation and I pray the powers that be would someday allow our children to tell the stories of our resilience and our great people. Zuky, I thank you, Joel, Jude, Alex Zitto, and everybody. I am at peace and have accepted my circumstance. I don’t have much time left. But I am fulfilled... I want to be remembered as a son, a father who did his best to reach out, remember me as somebody who, despite disagreements, always found ways to put myself in people’s shoes. Zuky, it’s in God’s hands now. And I am happy, man, because I started this life’s journey with half full cup and filled it , it was difficult, but I filled it. I am fulfilled”

Mustapha  far right then

No comments: